Monday, December 14, 2009

bedtime...

...the best and worst part of my day.

It's the best because it's about the only time I can get snuggles from Hailey. And she loves to snuggle with me...I'm pretty sure it's part of her "stall-itis" routine, but I'll take it any day. :)

It's the worst because if she doesn't want to sleep, it's drama! I'm talking, full-scale drama. Let me give you an example from tonight...

Step 1 - brush teeth - a little hard when she goes limp on the floor of the bathroom and won't open her mouth.

Step 2 - potty - she insists that she not have to go, but then also goes limp when I try to put her on the potty one last time to "try". I warn her that she will not be getting up out of her bed after this, so she should go. She will not.

Step 3 - tucking in - we didn't even get to this stage because she began crying hysterically saying she had to go potty "so bad". This is maybe a minute and a half after the ridiculousness of step 2...I obliged, we went upstairs, and nada.

Step 4 - tucking in...again - this time she screamed at me to get daddy to kiss her goodnight again.

Step 5 - tucking in...still - after a kiss from daddy, prayers, and a few snuggles she was laying down and I was feeling good about the probability that she'd be done for the night...man, was I wrong...

Step 6 - yup, still tucking in...more snuggles, Hailey sang me a few songs, and I scratched her back. Once again, I'm hopeful. I get up out of her bed (yes, I'm in her bed at this point...don't judge me) and with moves like a jungle cat, she jumps up into a standing position on her bed and yells, "Mom!! I have to POOP! Real bad!". Oh, she's good...using the trump card...she knows I'll never second-guess the threat of poop...

Let's just say that it was another rough several minutes of crying, "gotta go potty", "I'm SICK!", and "my tummy doesn't feel better!!!" before she settled down to sleep.

If this girl wasn't so cute, I'd sell her to the CIRCUS!! ;)

5 comments:

Stacy K said...

Being a mom is work. We will pray for a good answer for you because this will only get worse. She has your number but that face does make you want to melt. Blessings.

anne said...

Jess, this is sooooo funny! Although, I'm sure it's not exactly funny ha, ha when you're living through it each night. :) My friend Hillary had trouble with her son and the whole bedtime routine. So, she tried this...check out her post (there are two links listed here). It seems to be working pretty well and it also sounds like a little bit of fun with stickers, pictures, and little prizes. I figured it was worth mentioning.

http://hillsteveriley.blogspot.com/2009/11/it-seems-it-is-time-for-some-structure.html

http://hillsteveriley.blogspot.com/2009/11/structure-update.html

Shelly said...

Hhmm, drama.... I wonder where she gets that from? ;-)

CMC said...

I admit it, I laughed. But I know I won't be laughing when I have to go through this and I'm pretty sure I will since Harper already is proving to be a champion sleep fighter and she can't get out of bed or ask to go to the bathroom yet! Hopefully things will get better for you :) She is so darn adorable!

Leslie said...

My mom always said she'd trade us to the gypsies for lawn furniture. Just a thought. Maybe that's a better option than the circus...