Tuesday, July 29, 2008

those moments that take you to the end of yourself...

Last night began like any other night...until a little after 11 Hailey woke up crying. Normally I wouldn't go in her room but just let her fuss herself back to sleep, but something told me this was different. Mother's intuition, I guess. I went in, picked her up, and smelled the barf immediately. Poor baby was covered in it. I yelled for Todd to start filling the bath tub and started getting her cleaned up. In his discombobulation, he started filling the tub with cold water. Sleepy Todd. :)

She seemed okay for a few minutes, but then for the next two 1/2 hours she got sick about every 5 to 10 minutes! She even got to the point of those awful "dry heaves" that make you choke and have a hard time breathing. Finally when the stomach acid that was the color of a yellow highlighter started coming up, we prayerfully decided to take her in.

Thankfully the ER was relatively quiet...except for the man on the other side of the curtain from us who was snoring like I've NEVER HEARD BEFORE! Poor Hailey was so tired that she slept through it anyway...until, of course, she woke up heaving. The doctor came in and gave her a MAGIC pill that stopped the sickness immediately and she fell right to sleep in my arms. This was one of those moments that melts your heart as you feel so relieved that your child finally is out of their misery!

When she woke up the nurse gave her some juice and she was finally her normal self. She was smiling, laughing, and saying "juice" and "thank you" to all the nurses and doctors.

By 3:30ish we were back home and in our beds. Now hopefully we can have a restful day because mommy and daddy are SPENT! :)

10 comments:

Bridget Beth said...

woah. Scary! I'm so glad she's feeling better. I wonder if it was food poisoning or if you'll be getting sick soon too. Bleck!

PASTIECHEF said...

Most importantly where can I get that magic pill for when I'm hung over? Glad to hear all is almost well.
Cuz

anne said...

I'm so glad to hear that she's feeling better now...thanks in part to your great parenting skills! You should stay in your PJ's all day and hang out at home. Rest up.

J Yo said...

Bridg - she's so much better now...and hopefully I'll escape the barfs myself. :)

Anne - done. I'm not getting out of my pj's until tomorrow morning. :)

Aimee - it's apparently a drug for chemo patients, so ask the doc about it. I was told that it's kind of expensive and most insurance companies don't cover it, but I'll be honest...I'm totally filling it anyways so I have it for the next baby sickness! :)

christy said...

I am so glad she is ok! It is those moments with your children where you realize how much you love them and how big of a blessing they are. Praise Jesus!!

Anonymous said...

Poor precious little Hailey! I will be praying for her continued recovery, give her loves from us!!

Maddie has been sick too....but not like that!

We love you guys XOXO

Our growing family said...

oh, that is so sad! I totally have done the same thing, where usually I wouldn't go in, but the Holy Spirit bugs me until I go check and that is always when they have gotten sick. Isn't it great to have the Lord on your side with parenting!
Hope you all get some rest today!

Fry Fam said...

Poor little girl. It's no fun having nights like that for everyone. Hope she's feeling better today. We can't to see her!!

Anonymous said...

the med is zofran. they use it in high doses iv for chemo pts but also often for pregnancy. it's pretty safe but really spendy so they don't usually send people home with a script except in the above mentioned situations....

Anonymous said...

yikes!!!Blake and I have had the nasty stomach bug off and on since last Thursday... Thank God TJ didn't get it and Parker barely at all... It's been horrible!!! I've prayed more the last few days than I have in a really long time... God chooses really crappy ways sometimes to redirect focus =)

XOXo
Megan