Tuesday, July 13, 2010

I'm Baaaaaack!!

Well, I'm back from camp, most of my laundry is done, and our house is feeling just about back to normal again. After a week with various grandparents, Hailey has spent the better part of the last several days punishing...er, I mean testing me. We've had several 5 alarm fits lately, but what she doesn't know is that this week has developed some pretty serious perseverance and tough-ness in me!!!

We brought 12 kids total from Federal Way High School this year. After coming to grips with some pretty distinct cultural differences, I realized that these kids just need boundaries. They need someone to say, "Hey! You can't act like that, but I still love you when you do!" So, I did.

It's so hard, but such a picture of what God does in our lives all the time. I hated having to be firm and tough...I'm much happier when I'm laughing and having a good time! I did still laugh a lot, but at one point found myself having to be so firm/loud that half of the dining hall got whiplash after I had to stop a food fight at my table that included ketchup!! Good thing they placed our table right next to the adult guests, huh... ;)

All in all, God is good! We had 2 kids from FWHS make a 1st time commitment to Christ and 1 guy re-commit his life! Then, we've also got several kids asking really good questions and pursuing Todd and I now that we're home!

What I appreciate about the kids that we brought is that none of them seemed to make an emotional "mountain-top" decision. They are really calculating the cost of following Jesus and trying to make a real decision! Praise God!

One of the biggest "take-aways" for me came when I was trying to get my girls to spend time with me on one of our last full days at camp. I'd had the "lunch incident" that afternoon, which in turn made them a little annoyed with me. Then, at freetime, I kept trying to hook up with them. I even offered ice cream! At the end of our freetime, the girls found me and took me up on my offer. After they got their ice cream, they sat at a table by themselves and said, "Thanks!", not making any room for me to join them. I was, of course, a bit disappointed and even a little hurt. It was then that the Lord seemed to gently speak to me and show me that so often, that's what I do to Him!! He just wants me...time with me to love on me...and sometimes I don't make time for Him. He doesn't get mad at me about it, but it grieves His heart when He just wants to be with me and reveal Himself and I don't take Him up on His incredible offer.

What a week! So glad to be home... :)

5 comments:

bobbi jo said...

what a gracious reflection and so very true. glad you were blessed at camp. those girls were too.

anne said...

I just wanted you to know that Jordan and Jamie (she LOVES you - BIG TIME) both raved about you! They were awed by your strength and your ability to let God lead...they couldn't say enough nice things about you and your interaction with the kids. It sounds like you had a tough week, but you showed these students what it means to be loved. That's not an easy task, Jess! Way to go! ;)

Welcome home!

Alicia said...

Goodness. I love that I got to share a few moments with you. It was crazy and busy but I got to see your face and cry with you and talk with you. That is a blessing to me.

I love you SO much and cannot wait to see you in September.

Stacy K said...

Thank you for your willingness to serve. You are a seed sower. You never know which one will be the "one" who grows beyond what you could have ever believed. Love you!!!!

Stephanie said...

I enjoyed reading this, Jess :) Thanks for sharing.