Thursday, July 1, 2010

Stitch...

Here she is...7 stitches right in the middle of her forehead. So sad...

What happened, you ask? Well...let me fill you in. She ran downstairs and then ran around her bed, tripped over her own feel (I assume) and smacked her head right into a wooden knob on her wardrobe. I heard a blood-curdling scream from downstairs and have never moved so fast in all my life! There I found her...my poor baby sitting on the floor with blood pouring down her face! I scooped her up, brought her upstairs, and got a cold rag to stop the bleeding.

In true Jessica fashion, it was 11:30 and I was still in my pajamas. I passed her off to my mom (who, thank the LORD was at my house) and ran to put some clothes on so I could take her to the ER. Something prompted me to call her pediatrician and when I told them what happened they said, "Oh, bring her right in!". We put a bandaid on her wound, which had stopped bleeding by then, and I left my mom home with Owen...who had coincidentally unbuckled himself from his high chair and was STANDING UP yelling at me. Whew...thankfully we avoided another catastrophic moment there!!

When we got to the office they quickly whisked us back into a treatment room, looked at her wound, and turned on Toy Story 2! Clearly kids should always be treated by people who understand kids... :) She watched her movie (which was the highlight of her whole day) and then the nurse came in to put medicine on her head. All she had to do was soak a cotton ball with this numbing medicine and we held it on her head for 20 minutes! NO SHOTS! :)

By the time the doc was ready to begin the stitching process Todd got there. Hailey didn't like the process at all, but she was more annoyed that the doctor's work light made it hard to watch her movie than anything else.

Once it was over, she was good as new...back to her old shennanigans! If it weren't for the princess, Hello Kitty, or Strawberry Shortcake bandaids that are being rotated on her head 3 times a day, you'd never know anything was wrong!

Now, as a mom, this was one of my most traumatic moments to date! My perfect baby girl has been scarred for life and all I kept thinking yesterday was what I could have done to prevent this from ever happening. Should I re-arrange her furniture so she won't knock into things?? Should I stop letting my 3-year old leave the room unsupervised?? Should I wrap her in bubble wrap?? Maybe I should stay home from Young Life camp next week just in case she needs me??

Nope. I must trust the Lord with her.

Obviously I have to do what's wise in watching my kids, but no matter what I do, there will be unforeseen injuries and things that are unavoidable. And that doesn't make me a bad mom! (Or at least I'm telling myself that!)

My poor baby!! Good thing you're so tough.

P.S. She's been nicknamed "Stitch" by her Papa...for obvious reasons. :)

4 comments:

christy said...

Oh sweet Hailey. What a trooper! I warned Case when he was trying to skate board by himself that he should be more careful or he might get some stitches too. ;

Shelly said...

Oh Hailey! I have a scar in about the same spot! I feel bonded to you forever now!

Life with me and my crew said...

Oh boy. Seriously Jess, there was absolutely nothing you could have done to prevent this. Kids are busy and they run and often trip over their own little feet. Sounds like Hailey was such a brave girly, if it were Landen he would have had a coronary.

Stacy K said...

She is so cute and it will be fun to share the story in years to come. Scott has a great stitches story when he got 17! Kiss her for me.