Thursday, August 21, 2008

a little on the deep side...

So, I know this blog is typically filled with superficial posts about zebra-print sheets or pictures of my darling daughter Hailey, but something I read this morning just won't quite let me move on until I get a little vulnerable.

My morning "blog-checking" routine includes a visit to a blog that Christy showed me a while ago. I don't know the author, but I feel like I do. I find myself reading stories she writes and really identifying with her southern life in Texas. This morning's post was almost exactly the thing that I've been wrestling with in the past few weeks.

From when I was young I've always been a "people pleaser", and lately I realize that that is affecting my view of God. For whatever reason, even though I know in my head that God loves me unconditionally and that my position as His daughter isn't contingent on ANYTHING that I do, I struggle with knowing that in my every day life. I entertain thoughts of, "I'm not good enough to be called a christian" or "a godly mom wouldn't have been so frustrated with their kid" or even "a godly woman would have better self-control with their eating and exercise". But here's the truth...I can't be good enough! That's what Jesus did. Gave himself so I can have a relationship with my heavenly Father anyway.

My mom always tells me that when I'm thinking wrong things that I need to "replace the tape" in my head. It's pretty good advice when God's word also says to be "transformed by the renewing of your mind". I need to stop the wrong "tapes" that play in my head and give myself room to hear the sweet whispers of truth that say "In him and through faith in him we may approach God with freedom and confidence" (Ephesians 3:12) and "Therefore, he is able to save completely those who come to God through him, because he always lives to intercede for them" (Hebrews 7:25).

It's not my job to sanctify myself from the outside in...it's His pleasure to sanctify me from the inside out.

I'm free.

8 comments:

Bridget Beth said...

Amen!

Oh goodness, if my godliness was gaged on whether or not I excercised enough, didn't get upset with Finn, or my goodness...I'd be in BIG trouble!!

Love you, Jess!

cacfus said...

Isn't it awesome when we read or hear something and it just "clicks" and God does something major in our hearts? He is so good like that. I am thankful too. Love you.

Our growing family said...

I love this-so beautiful and it is amazing how satan tells us all these lies! Thank you for sharing!
Oh, and thank you for all your prayers lately-you must be a righteous woman as they worked wonderfully! =)

Saralee said...

Thank you for this post Jessica!! Just what I need this morning as I wasn't feeling worthy of anything! I found myself condemning "me" all morning for . . . being overweight . . . not exercising . . . and just not being good enough for anything or anyone!! Thanks for putting my eyes back on the "ONE" who fearfully and wonderfully made me and accepts me as I am!
Hugs & Blessings~ Saralee

Doreen T. said...

I absolutely loved your last sentence, "It's not my job to sanctify myself from the outside in...it's His pleasure to sanctify me from the inside out." Praise God for His grace that is truly sufficient!

Stacy said...

Hi Jessica, I've never posted a comment on your blog before, infact I'm not sure if you'd remember me. (I'm Andy Nelson's older sister...) But I was blog-hopping today and just wanted to say "AMEN!" and encourage you that I struggle with the same thing. I'm a people pleaser too, and especially after dealing with the emotions of a miscarriage, I know how badly that tape needs to be replaced. Not only does God love you and cherish you, but his grace covers all and he gives us strength to face whatever he brings into our lives. Thank you for the post today!

The Davis Family said...

Thanks for this post, I can't tell you how it touched me! AMEN :)

Miss you ~ hope I can even recognize you next time I see you.....:)

XOXO
Jen

Shelly said...

And isn't it awesome that not only does He encourage us, He gives us friends and family to encourage us as well? Love you, Jess!