Friday, August 15, 2008

Our jet-setting summer...


Here's one of our first attempts to let her feed herself a whole thing of yogurt without parental intervention. You can see that it went very well...if you consider needing a bath right afterwards a success. :)

And here she is in all her glory with half of a banana stuffed into her mouth. Lovely.

Someone (Christy) brought it to my attention that I have been a bit neglectful of my blog lately. Consider this a big "I'm Sorry" to the 6 people who read it. :) In an effort to justify my blog laziness, let me give you the run-down on the insanity that's been our summer...

It all started with the oh, so very awesome trip to Kauai. Good times! We spent 10 glorious days there and had the best time. Sorry, Hailey...next time Mommy and Daddy are leaving you HOME! :)

**INSERT WEEK OF CRAZY LAUNDERING HERE!!**

Then we spent a week CAMPING at Dworshak in Idaho. Todd's former Youth Pastor invited us to bring our boat to Wakeboard Camp and we delightfully accepted. It was only just before we packed up to leave that I really realized that we were camping without running water or electricity. Yes, people, this meant outhouse. The week started out a little rough with me trying to corral my curious 17-month old, but in the end it was great because all the kids at the camp fell in love with Hailey and it turned out to be easier than it would have been to be at home! :)

**INSERT YET ANOTHER WEEK OF CRAZY LAUNDERING HERE!!**

We then came home and began to prepare to go to Wildhorse Canyon with our YL kids. In the midst of the preparations, we had a bit of a major family crisis...our excitement over the expected arrival of our second baby was crushed by the devastating news that I'd miscarried. For whatever reason I never felt like I wanted to share this with the world until now, but when the Lord prompts, you obey. Who knows, maybe someone who reads this needed to hear about my story. Thank you to those who did know and prayed for us.

We picked ourselves up, dusted ourselves off, and headed to Wildhorse two days late. It turned out to be such a good distraction and time with the Lord. I know God used it to heal my broken heart, and for that I'm grateful. Hailey split the week and stayed with both sets of grandparents and did GREAT! Apparently there was only 1 time-out all week...whatever...we don't get through breakfast at our house without time-outs. :)

We made it home after a great week and again began preparing for our next adventure...four days and three nights at Mason Lake! This, mind you, was a little over a week after we got home from Wildhorse, and included our nasty bout with the flu.

Well, we're back home and doing our best to get back into the swing of things...that is, after we remember what the swing of things was like!!

Hailey is growing like a WEED and saying new things every day. Her latest favorite words are "apple" and "fry-fry" (french fry)...although I swear she eats more than junk! She ate salmon and asparagus for the first time the other night. I couldn't believe it.

(I did mean for those pictures to go here, at the bottom, but you know blogger. So aggravating.)

8 comments:

Vollmer Family said...

YEA! I'm glad your back to bloggity land! What a big summer for you guys. Thanks for sharing your updates! I only hope that while you were at Mason Lake spending time on the boat that everyone was wearing HELMETS!

shawna said...

she is so cute! i can't wait to see you guys this weekend :)

Lisa said...

It sounds like you had a busy weekend! We love hearing about your adventures, keep them coming! Miss you all...

Lisa said...

Sorry, brain fart. I meant to say "busy summer". Ugh, it's Friday night, what can I say! :)

cacfus said...

Thanks sister. It is so nice to hear from your heart and about your adventures. Can't wait to see you tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

Always have helmets on Todds boat now after our little experience last summer, I make everyone wear them now!!

Todd

Robin said...

Thanks for the update, Jessica! Hailey is the cutest- love the banana bit. I'm glad to hear that you're healing after the miscarriage...still praying for you as you and Todd continue on that journey! What fun memories you're making for little Hailey!

anne said...

You guys have been in our prayers and you will continue to be...we love your family!

I enjoyed your summer update. It sounds like we're both experiencing a busy season. So much fun, and yet so tiring too!

Looks like you've got more than just 6 readers. :)