Monday, January 5, 2009

Ummmm...Excuse Me?? I'm sure I didn't hear you right...

Today I had my 19-week appointment at my OB's office and was, well, shocked at what he told me...

Dr: (While looking over my chart) Everything looks great! Hmmm...you've only gained 2 pounds so far...that's okay for now, but I'd really like to see a bit more weight gain at your next visit.

Me: (after he picked me up off the floor after I FAINTED...jk) What?!? Are you sure? By this time in my last pregnancy I had gained at least 15 or more!

Dr: I'm quite sure...gain more weight.

Me: Okay, doc...I'll eat more cheeseburgers and go to two bowls of ice cream a day instead of my usual one. ;)

After listening to the baby's heartbeat (155 beats a minute) he comes to the end of the appointment and asks if I have any questions.

Me: I do, actually...last time I was induced at 39 weeks because of my blood pressure. Would you consider inducing again a little early?

Dr: Sure! You did great last time, so I'd have no problem inducing at 39 weeks.

Me: Really?!? So my due date can change in my mind to May 28th??? :)

Dr: (looks at his due date wheel) Ummm...yeah! That's 39 weeks exactly. And my father's birthday. Good day to be born.

Then while I was walking out toward the lobby he says...

Dr: See you in 4 weeks and gain some weight!

I've never had a better appointment in my life! Well, except for when I found out Hailey was a girl and this Friday when I'll find out what this kid is!!! :)

4 comments:

Stacy said...

Ok. I have some serious envy happening. My midwife looked at me at my 33 week appt today and said "do you want to know how much weight you've gained? Just don't be mad at me...."
Way to go Jess! I will need all of your tips immediately. And I can't wait to hear what you're having (my son is doing a "boy boy boy" chant in my belly)

J Yo said...

Oh, Stacy...seriously...I gained 50 lbs last time and got more than one "ummm...you really want to watch the weight gain"...hence the SHOCK this time! And I have no tips! It's just a fluke...I don't work out, I eat whatever...I have no clue what's different this time. The only thing I can think of is that I'm chasing after Hails all day. :)

I'll so keep you posted on Friday! Can't wait...

CMC said...

Yay for a good appointment! As of my 16 week appt. I hadn't gained very much either, but I'm thinking with the holidays and the return of my appetite I'm going to get a "lay off the cheeseburgers" lecture tomorrow :-P

Congrats on the new due date too :) Can't wait to find out what you're having on Friday!

Stacy said...

You give me hope for a second pregnancy :) Enjoy your extra bowl of ice cream, I'm going to go eat a carrot!
Maybe during my time off work we can go for a walk around the old FW so I can burn off those extra pounds :)