Saturday, May 15, 2010

Adventures in Single-Parenting...

First off, let me just say that I realize that this is like, my 4th blog post of the day. Can you tell my husband is gone and I'm a little lonely?? :)

So, Todd's been gone since early Thursday morning and we've done our best to stay busy. We went to the Supermall and Joann Fabrics on Thursday, had a very fun zoo day on Friday and then braved the grocery store right before dinner with both of my kids. Not smart. Owen was OVER the grocery cart after about 12 seconds and proceeded to arch his back and squeal through the whole store. Think I'm exaggerating? You are welcome to ask the lovely elderly woman who put her hand on my shoulder in the cheese aisle and said, "You sure have your hands full, don't you dear." Yup. I do, thanks.

Today was a new day, so I tried to stay positive and make plans to get out and about. I picked up Mom Yost and we all headed to Ikea for a couple of rolls of paper for Hailey's easel. Two rolls of paper, two picture frames, a faux plant, 3 blue vases, 5 Swedish meatballs and a surprise for Owen's birthday later and we were done with that shopping trip. How do you say no to lunch at Ikea when it's a "kids eat free" weekend?? :) All was good up until the bedding section and Owen was ready to go. And he meant it.

We finally got home and both kids went down for a nap. Life was good. Then they woke up, and seemed fairly happy! Yay!! How about another outing? A few errands, dinner at Panera Bread, and Hailey's promised trip to Target. We were optimistic.

Half-way through dinner Hailey has to pee. Keep in mind that we have our dinner strewn about all over our table, Owen is getting fidgety, and I have to load up both kids and hurry to the bathroom. When we get there, Hailey has to...um...go numero dos. And she is all in a tizzy because while we're all in the stall Owen won't close his eyes. Seriously?? Well, we successfully made it out of the bathroom in one piece with washed hands and headed to bus our table. Wrong move. My boy was furious with me when I put him back into the high chair. Somewhere between that and putting him in the red Target cart sent him OVER THE EDGE.

I tried everything, but he was NOT happy. This, of course, helped me make the executive decision that our Target trip needed to wait. The boy was in hysterics at this point. This, in turn, produced a very devastated girl who made it her mission to cry louder than her brother all the way to the car. At this point, I was THAT mom. People were staring. Awesome.

The crying continued and became louder and louder all the way home. I considered pulling over just so I could join in the hysterics, but my practical side won this battle when I remembered that the sooner that we were home, the sooner it would stop.

Needless to say, I'm exhausted and miss my husband immensely. It's especially weird not to be on and off the phone with him all day long. I can't wait until tomorrow night.

(Lisa, if you're reading this, you're my hero. I don't know how you do this 4 days a week!! :)

3 comments:

Life with me and my crew said...

I feel you Jess. We have had many of those outings. Each time I tell myself that next time I'm going alone and yet I never do. It gets easier when they are a little older. Oh and "you sure have your hands full" is something I seriously get every single day and I can't tell you how much I'm over it! Just wait until I'm toting six to the store. I'm sure I'll get the "are they all yours?" :)

Our growing family said...

oh!!! So sorry to hear that things went a bit crazy there!! =( That was probably a wise call there to try target another day.
Hope you survive today and get some extra rest this week!!
Your'e doing a great job!
love all the spring decorations too!
blessings,
tarena

Samantha said...

I love your little kiddos, but I gotta say...this definitely helps me ease up on the "baby fever". I know God will give me what I need when I get to that point, but I'm definitely not there yet! My hat's off to all you mommas!!