Tuesday, May 4, 2010

My Body is a Temple...

30 days ago I started dieting and exercising regularly. I've currently lost 17 lbs in 30 days. A few people have been interested in what I've done, so I thought I'd share...

Firstly, I've struggled with my weight for years. I've done every diet imaginable. I've lost, gained, lost, had babies, and so on. About 3 months ago I started really asking the Lord to give me the desire to do the work, and eventually He did. It started from the inside out.

Once I had the desire, I went to see my family doctor. I was diagnosed with insulin resistance about 4 years ago and he helped me get set up with a colleague in his office who does nutritional counseling. He showed me that what I had to do was give up anything with a high glycemic index (or in layman's terms, anything that causes a spike in my blood sugar). The most obvious culprits are sugar, white flour, white potatoes and white rice. The not-so-obvious ones are things like corn and bananas. He gave me a list of what to eat and how much and sent me on my way.

I have one serving of whole grain a day, one small serving of low-fat dairy, all the good veggies I can eat and 4 servings of lean protein. What's worked best for me is a protein shake for breakfast, a snack, a protein bar and veggie for lunch, another snack, and then a dinner that my family will eat...like chicken, roasted veggies and brown rice.

I'm also exercising most days. I'll admit, I've been a slacker for about 4 days while trying to get rid of this pesky cold, but most days I do a 45-minute Hip Hop Abs video that I have. Make fun if you will, but I start sweating about 6 minutes in and the first several days I could barely move! :)

Tonight, for the first time since I started, I gave myself grace and had a "free meal", if you will. I had a chicken stuffed tortilla meal from the Cheesecake Factory. I allowed myself to eat about a third of it and then made myself wait about 20 minutes to eat any more. After 20 minutes I wasn't hungry anymore, so I was done eating. Todd and I got a piece of cheesecake to share, but I had 2 bites and gave the rest to him. Now I'm downing the water like it's going out of style so I don't have a "sugar hangover" in the morning! I'd rather be up all night peeing than wake up with a headache... ;)

I have a long way to go (37 lbs, to be exact) until I'm at the ideal weight for my height, but I've set "mini-goals" along the way. For instance, after losing my first 9 lbs I was at my "pre-Owen" weight. Now I'm 1 lb away from being the lowest since having Hailey. I have another 10 lbs to be the weight I was at Christy's wedding. Another 12 lbs after that, I'll be at my pre-Hailey weight, which was the lowest I'd been at since my own wedding. 5 lbs later, I'll be at my wedding weight and then 10 lbs to my ultimate goal. I will celebrate each milestone, because it's all about baby steps, people!

Now that I've written this out there's no turning back, right?? Nothing like blogging to create accountability. :)

7 comments:

Life with me and my crew said...

Way to go Jess!

Samantha said...

I'm so excited for you! The meals actually sound really good.

Lissa said...

I found your blog on Tarena's blog. Thank you for posting this.I am in the same boat I've struggled with my weight most of my life and now I'm a mom of 2 and currently working to lose all the baby.You have inspired me to start really making it a priority,so thank you and good luck with your goal! Lissa

shawna said...

you look GREAT, jess! i'm so proud of you and excited to see the rest of your journey!! XOXO!

Stacy K said...

That is so great, Jess. Most of the family has the issues with insulin resistance. It has been my prayer for all of us to be healthy spiritually, financially, emotionally, and physically. There is much to do for the Lord and we need to do the best we can with what we have. Rock on.
Love you bunches.

christy said...

Way to go girl. I bet you will start to crave those veggies and exercise! I love all your little goals too. Good thinking.

Robin said...

way to go, JEssica! You're an inspiration!