Saturday, May 29, 2010

Dancing in the Arms of God...

This morning after doing a little quiet time, I picked up my copy of Dancing in the Arms of God that's been in my collection of books for more than 10 years. I haven't read it yet, but thought it looked good. I opened the cover and found this note written by my mom back when I was in the midst of my "dark days" -

"Dear Jessica,

How I love you! This book is for you to read when you are ready. Before you do, read Matthew 13 and evaluate where you might fit in the parables.

You are a gift from God and we love you with that everlasting love that never changes and is unconditional. As Abraham was asked to put Isaac on the alter before God, so He has asked us to do that with you. You are His to do with as He sees best remembering that He is the provider and is full of goodness no matter what the circumstances.

No, I am not pushing - I am letting go...I trust in Him for your best.

In His love,

Mom

1/19/2000"

With tear-stained cheeks and puffy eyes, I turned to the first chapter in this book this morning and began reading. The author, Connie Neal, describes a picture of herself as a young girl. She's all dressed up with a beautiful dress, perfect blonde hair in pig tails with bows, sitting in an alley amongst several garbage cans. She related it to how in life, our circumstances can look like big piles of garbage and that anyone else looking at this picture might only see that - the garbage - BUT our God loves us and sees US, not just our garbage. He sees His beautiful creation and longs to scoop us out of our circumstances and into a meaningful and deep relationship with Him.

I am so thankful that back in 2000 my mom saw past my "garbage" and focused in on the little girl who wanted so badly to be free, but just didn't know how. She prayed diligently and sought the Lord on my behalf for many years before I finally decided that I wanted better for my life and asked for better from God Himself.

As much as I pray against this kind of journey for my own kids, should they ever need to walk their own way for God to truly get a hold of their hearts I only hope I have the wisdom to spend more time on my knees in prayer for them than anywhere else. And I pray that I will always see them like God does...like my mom saw me...

2 comments:

Scott, Teresa and Gabby said...

Thanks for sharing that testomony with us Jess. It is wonderful to see how God works and the people and things that He uses to do it. You have a wonderful example to follow in your mom.

anne said...

Holy WOW! God is so good...and so are your parents. I LOVE this post, Jess! Thanks so much for sharing it with the rest of us.